Strawberry Quinoa Muffins
- 2 cups Self-Rising Flour Blend (see below)
- 1/2 cups coconut palm sugar (or sugar of choice)
- 1/4 cup packed Muscovado sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 2 large eggs or flax eggs (2T ground flax seeds + 6T warm water)
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 3/4 cup milk of choice
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups diced strawberries
- Topping (Optional)
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar of choice
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease a twelve-cup muffin tin or line with muffin papers.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugars and baking soda. Stir to combine. Add flax seeds and cooked quinoa and stir until it is coated.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs. Add in coconut oil, milk, applesauce and vanilla and stir to combined. Add to dry mixture and stir until just wet. Fold in strawberries.
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin tins. (I like to use an ice cream scoop.) Place in the middle rack of the oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes, until a toothpick placed in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool on a rack for 5 minutes, then remove from muffin tin and place directly on the rack to continue cooling.
- If topping, place the melted butter in a small bowl and place the sugar in a separate bowl. Dip the top of the muffin into the butter and then carefully roll in the sugar.
Self Rising Flour Blend
- 1 1/4 cups millet flour
- 1 cup white sorghum flour
- 3/4 cup quinoa flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch or potato starch
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- Combine all ingredients in a large storage container.
Courtesy of www.cookingquinoa.net
» Healthy Recipes