- PREP TIME 15 mins
- COOK TIME 30 mins
- YIELDS 4 large bowls
When it’s cold outside, there’s nothing like a hearty, warm bowl of soup to hit the spot. This healthy vegan lentil soup recipe is low sodium and doesn’t require oil. It’s completely vegan and ideal to use as meal prep for the week.
Lentils are a pantry staple, they’re also relatively budget friendly and this recipe only requires 8 simple ingredients that you’re likely to already have in the kitchen.
It’s quick to make and can be ready in 30 minutes or less. Eat this meal fresh or freeze it for later, lentils are a great option for vegans because they are full of protein and fibre.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1 cup green dry lentils (pre-soak if desired)
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 5 tbsp tomato paste
- 4-5 handfuls of spinach
- 3 large diced carrots
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 1 tbsp dark balsamic vinegar
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Large soup pot
- OPTIONAL: red chilli flakes
THE 7 STEPS TO MAKE VEGAN LENTIL SOUP:
- Pre-soaking the lentils is not required for this recipe, but if you are looking to do so, soak them 2-4 hours, drain and rinse them well. This is often done for green lentils especially as they are larger and more coarse than other varieties.
- Cook or steam the onions and carrots in a large soup bowl over medium heat in a bit of water until tender.
- Add in all of the spices and stir to mix them in for about 30 seconds.
- Add the vegetable broth, water and the lentils. Bring the mixture to a boil and cover partially to allow some steam to escape.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes or until tender.
- Add in the tomato paste and balsamic vinegar and stir thoroughly. Then stir in the spinach until soft and wilted.
- Lastly, taste and add any more salt/pepper if needed. If desired, serve with red pepper flakes for a spicy kick and fresh green onions.
Enjoy this healthy vegan meal on its own or with a side of salad or fresh pita bread to dip. It is ideal for fast vegan lunches and dinners. This recipe was inspired by a recipe from The Vegan 8. Have you tried this recipe? Be sure to let us know what you think in the comments!
ADDITIONAL NUTRITION INFORMATION
Serving: 2 cups Calories: 257 kcal Carbohydrates: 47. 8g Protein: 16.3g Fat: 0.9g Sodium: 718mg Potassium: 1156mg Fiber: 19.4g Sugar: 10.2g Calcium: 133 mg Iron: 6mg