What are natural treatments for insulin resistance or metabolic syndrome?
Insulin resistance can often be helped by addressing a few key areas of health such as diet, exercise and stress reduction techniques. A diet rich in low starch vegetables, little/no refined sugar, good protein and healthy fats is important to reduce your risk factors for developing insulin resistance. A Ketogenic Diet has been found to be the most impactful for metabolic syndrome, but also for diabetics who are currently on medications.
High stress spikes cortisol, blood sugar and insulin. Stress reduction techniques like yoga (and other exercise), meditation, breathing practice, clinical therapy, acupuncture, and massage therapy can all be beneficial.
Our naturopathic doctors will work with you to help you manage your symptoms, prevent diabetes (or treat existing diabetes), and get to the source of your insulin resistance through your own individualized treatment plan. It may include:
- Specific dietary modifications –– eliminating food intolerances; increase in fibre, vegetables, fats and protein, decrease in starches and sugars; increase omega 3 fatty acid-rich foods; education and recommendation for a ketogenic diet or intermittent fasting.
- Vitamins, minerals, enzymes –– may include chromium, vanadium, alpha-lipoic acid, B Vitamins, and others.
- Botanicals –– such as devils club, gymnema, momordica, and milk thistle.
- Exercise Guidance and recommendations
- Stress reduction techniques, tools, and resources