This is one of my favourite fall/winter recipes to warm up with, after a cold morning outside. It pairs well with our recommended delicious Pumpkin Cornbread recipe. It is wheat-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free and candida-friendly.
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 onions (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 butternut squash
- 6 cups of water
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- 2 apples (peeled, cored and cubed)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 ½ tsp. curry powder
- ¼ cup cashews (toasted and chopped)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut squash lengthwise and remove seeds. Place face down on a baking dish. Add ½ cup water and bake for 1 hour. (This step may be done the day before).
- In a large soup pot, sauté onions. When onions have softened, add garlic
- Peel skin off of squash or scoop out flesh and add to onions and garlic
- Add water and boullion, apple, curry powder, and bay leaves and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and allow simmering for 40 minutes (or as long as 90 minutes) until apple and squash have completely dissolved into soup.
- Remove bay leaves and puree with a hand blender directly in a soup pot or pour soup into a blender and blend until smooth
- Serve soup and garnish with toasted cashews or pumpkin seeds.